Notes & Updates
- [11-Sept] Sorry for the lack of updates. Life has been crazy and busy. But on the 10th Anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, we remember.
- [19-Feb] The annual Ice Bowl disc golf tournament was today. Trish and I played in a group with Tim and Benj. It was a lot of fun. And Trish won her division!
- [14-Feb] I've had some sort of virus that left me on my back (and miserable) for nearly two weeks. Glad it's over.
- [27-Jan] Just back from vacation with Trish and Dad. We spent a week touring the big island of Hawaii. When we got home we celebrated a full year since Bear adopted us!
- [23-Dec] Merry Christmas, everyone! And Happy New Year. May the season bring joy and good tidings to you and your kin!
- [19-Dec] Trish gave me an early Christmas present this year: Tickets to the Raiders game on December 19th against the Denver Broncos (Tim Tebow's first NFL start). It was a stormy, rainy day, but the weather let up for the game. Our seats were awesome: 8th row in the middle of the infamous Black Hole. It ended in a victory for the Raiders, we had a great time and we didn't get wet!
- [19-Nov] Peanut has gone back to the vet for his neuter surgery and then he'll be moving on to a more permanent home and a family. He will need a lot of love and patience, and we wish a good life for him!
- [7-Nov] Trish and I are fostering a rescue dog. He's a Yorkshire Terrier that had been mauled by a big dog and surrendered at the hospital by his owners. He's healing quickly and slowly making friends with Bear. We call him peanut.
- [26-Oct] Our kitty Skittles passed away today. She lived a very long life of over 20 years and we will miss her very much. She's interred next to Sam and Jacks in a beautiful field overlooking the valley.
- [7-Oct] The Ukiah Lions Club hosted a handful of Dignitaries from our District, including District Goveror Kertice Poon, 1st Vice District Governor Jean Roybal and our Zone Chairman Ray McDill for lunch today. The club is visited at least once a year by our Governor and other District Officers.
- [6-Oct] We just got back from a quick vacation in Las Vegas. We met with friends and had a lot of fun... I'd share a lot more detail, but well... You know.
- [29-Sept] I just returned from the annual Sigma Chi weekend (AKA Sigmapalooza) at Kennedy Meadows. It was another fun time with a great group of Brothers. Seeing all of the guys is well worth the six-hour drive over... it's the six-hour drive back home that hurts!
- [18-Sept] The Ukiah Lions Club held it's Annual Pancake Feed this morning in conjunction with the Early Iron Car Show. The weather was cooperative and it was a sunny morning. In addition, it was the debut of the club's new pancake trailer, just completed!
- [11-Sept] On the 9th anniversary, we pause to remember the attack, and the horror at what we witnessed; the shock and the denial; the lives sacrificed and taken, from the WTC to the Penatagon to a field in Pennsylvania. We remember the additions to our lexicon: "Jumpers", and "Let's Roll." We remember the gallantry, the sacrifice, the honor, and the herosim of fire fighters, police, our military, and others who without a moments thought to their own wellbeing rushed to lend aid.
- [21-Aug] Ukiah Lions have kicked into fundraising season with concession stand duties at High School and Youth Football games. Stop by, enjoy the football and have a dog, nachos, popcorn and a cold, refreshing Coke!
- [8-Aug] Trish and I took a day-trip to the coast yesterday. After a run through Anderson Valley, and stops at the Anderson Valley Bewing Company and Gowan's, we continued to Highway 1 where we headed south to point Arena and Bowling Ball Beach.
- [5-Aug] iRacing.com has updated the simulator, and 2010 Season 3 is underway. This season I'm running the Ford Mustang on the road courses (pictured, right), and the NASCAR Nationwide car on the ovals.
- [10-July] Dad hosted a group of about 20 at the house for a summer evening BBQ. We prepared tri-tip, and everyone pitched in with a dish, including salads, baked beans, desserts and more. There was plenty of food and it was a fun evening.
- [24-June] The Ukiah Host Lions Club held it's officer installation dinner this evening. They're a good group of people and we enjoyed an evening at Ukiah Garden Cafe for dinner and ceremonies. At right, I'm presenting outgoing Club President Dan Updegraff with a plaque for his continued service to the club and our community.
- [22-May] We just got back from some down-time. Trish and I started the week with a couple relaxing days over on the Mendocino Coast that included horseback riding on the beach and a visit to Glass Beach. We also stopped at MacKerricher State Park and found that it was nearly low tide.
- Later in the week, Dad joined us as we traveled to Napa Valley to enjoy wine tasting, before heading to Sacramento to visit the Capitol and look in on a few landmarks from my college days. The former Sigma Chi House is still standing, but Tiny's Hamburgers is no more.
- [13-May] I had the experience of a lifetime today, visiting the Golden Gate Bridge and going to the top of the South Tower. I had to sign a waiver not to share descriptions or photos with any detail for national security reasons (seriously). But the shot here doesn't show the tower at all, it's the view looking toward the Presedio. The whole experience was amazing.
- [24-Apr] I was premature with the "Spring is Here" proclamation last month. It hasn't stopped raining! We finally had a break and got over to Anderson Valley Brewing Company today for some disc golf on a beautiful afternoon. Earlier in the week Mom's cousin Sandra and her husband Herb visited on vacation.
- [27-Mar] Springtime is here and there's a lot going on. The Lions Club helped South Ukiah Little League with Opening Day by cooking a pancake breakfast for hundreds of families this morning. Everyone had fun, enjoyed the pancakes, and the baseball season is off to a good start.
Bear visited the vet to check a tick bite with tests showing he has been exposed to two tick-borne diseases. He's on a 30-day course of antibiotics, the prognosis is good and we're hopeful he'll be fine.
There's also a lot of work to do in the yard, plenty of repair jobs and a few projects to get going.
- [21-Mar] We were suprised to open today's edition of the Ukiah Daily Journal and see Bear featured as the subject of an article in the "Sunday Voices" section titled "Just Another Dog Story". He is a wonderful dog and we are very glad that he is a part of the family.
- [2-Mar] This past weekend we participated in the annual Ice Bowl disc golf tournament. I didn't fare so well, but Trish won her division and Tim came in 2nd. Hover over the thumbnail on the right to see our whole group.
- [13-Feb] Bear had his surgery this week and came through fine. His neuter, chip and heartworm test were paid by Anderson Valley Animal Rescue, who heard about our story. We're so thankful for their generosity!
- [30-Jan] Bear had a big day today. We had to get him into the car and down to the vet for shots and a physical. It went very smoothly and he was very well behaved. So far, so good.
- iRacing.com held it's first "World Tour" event, the "2.4 Hours of Daytona" this morning. 950 drivers participated. My Daytona Prototype, on the right, finished 22nd in a flight of 40. The race was lot of fun and at 2 hours 45 minutes proved a serious challenge.
- [24-Jan] Trish spend a cold, rainy morning gaining the trust of an abandoned dog we've seen living in Low Gap Park for a few months now. With a bit of coaxing, a lot of patience and a little food, Trish got him home and he's getting to know his new surroundings in the back yard. He's a German Shepherd/Chow-Chow mix. We call him "Bear".
- [8-Jan] A few of my photos of Mendocino County are on display at the main branch of the Savings Bank of Mendocino County, through the end of January. Stop by and have a look if you're local.
- [1-Jan] Happy New Year! Just speaking for myself, I'm glad to see 2009 go, and I'm hopeful for the decade ahead. All the best to you and yours!
Notes & Updates from 2009